First, let me get this out of the way, I love beer. Adam constantly reminds me that I am a rare find; I’m a girl who will only drink IPAs and sours. He is very proud of this (it’s the little things- ya know what I mean?).
Living in Phoenix, means we are just about a five hour drive to San Diego. While we love Southern California, and would love to live there, we don’t love the cost of living. So, we settle for our semiannual trips to San Diego. While in San Diego (obviously I’m saying this in a Ron Burgandy accent) we enjoy the beach, the sunshine, and above all- the craft beer.
Southern California, and especially San Diego, is known for their craft beer. So PLEASE, do not make a trip to San Diego without visiting at least one of these fantastic breweries!
- GO HERE, seriously.
- There are three locations: North Park, Ocean Beach, and Miramar. The North Park location is our favorite! Great modern and trendy taproom with ample space and board games are provided for your entertainment.
- I would recommend ordering a flight of beer. With a flight of beer you receive a Mike Hess collectible pint glass. We have a few and let me tell you- they are pretty dang awesome.
- The IPAs at Mike Hess are SOLID.
- Grapefruit Solis
- My Other Vice Berliner Weisse.
- The IPAs at Mike Hess are SOLID.
- I’m sure everyone has heard of Stone. I mean, I hope you have. Stone revolutionized the craft beer scene on the West Coast.
- There are two locations in San Diego County: Liberty Station and Escondido. Both locations have beautiful grounds.
- Take a brewery tour in Escondido! Even if you do not enjoy the tour, you get to sample all their current beers on tap after! Win-win situation.
- The food here is phenomenal! The beer cheese soup- heavenly.
- Delicious IPA
- Go-To IPA
- Tangerine Express IPA
- Enjoy By IPA
- Any IPA really
Amplified Ale Works
- Amplified is a brewery and restaurant located in Pacific Beach. The location, beer, and eats here are out of this world. Sit out on the deck and enjoy a cold one with a view of the Pacific Ocean!
- Doner Fries
- Pita & Hummus
- Electrocucion IPA
- Ballast Point began as a small group of home brewers and quickly grew into a West Coast brewery unlike any other. Since opening in 1996, Ballast Point has crafted some amazing brews, including the popular Sculpin.
- Little Italy
- Long Beach
- Scripps Ranch
- Home Brew Mart
- Pineapple Sculpin
- Grapfruit Sculpin
- Habanero Sculpin
- Mango Even Keel
Coronado Brewing Company
- Located on beautiful Coronado Island, you will not be disappointed with a trip to the Coronado Brewery!
- Guava Islander IPA- my fave.
- Idiot IPA
- Islander IPA
- Orange Ave Wit
- What began as a pizza place, quickly snagged a spot in San Diego’s craft beer scene.
- Solana Beach
- Ocean Beach
- Bressi Ranch
- San Clemente
- Pizza- enough said!
- Beers: there is a VAST amount of Pizza Port beer available at all locations. You cannot go wrong with any of them! They offer all types of craft beer, including: IPAs, session IPAs, wheat beers, ambers, summer ales, pale ales, red ales, stouts, and much more!
Monkey Paw Brewing
- A small brewery near the heart of downtown. A local hangout spot with solid beer and the eclectic cask ale from time to time. If you make your way to this brewery you will not be disappointed.
Thorn Street Brewery
- A small brewery located in San Diego’s North Park. Great atmosphere and even better beer! Grab a beer and check out the local food trucks! Thorn Street Brewery is pet and kid friendly!
- Relay IPA
- Far Far Away
- Tropic Daze
- Mob Barely
So, if you are a lover of beer, on your next trip to San Diego be sure to check out a few of these breweries! I guarantee you will not be disappointed.